GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 530i radio question

Default 95 530i radio question

Will a 95 530i stock radio/code with weather band be a direct plug and play for a 95 525i? What would it be worth?

I want the weather band (I think). It also needs to work with my Pioneer/BMW changer. Believe 95 model Alpine/Pioneer changers are interchangable.

I have a chance to pick up this and various other parts including a blue hood and complete blue driver's door. Do not need hood and door, so I may just let those go. Note, I have not seen the parts yet.

12/7/08 no radio in the parts. bought a cross spoke wheel/orginal tire, amp and changer. Left the door and hood as I did not need.
    Last edited by Russell; 12-07-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Will a 95 530i stock radio/code with weather band be a direct plug and play for a 95 525i? What would it be worth?

I want the weather band (I think). It also needs to work with my Pioneer/BMW changer. Believe 95 model Alpine/Pioneer changers are interchangable.

I have a chance to pick up this and various other parts including a blue hood and complete blue driver's door. Do not need hood and door, so I may just let those go. Note, I have not seen the parts yet.
    the tuning of the radio ought to be internal to the radio tuner, so even if it isn't plug and play having the weather band itself won't make a difference... you don't need a seperate antenna or connection or anything just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    the tuning of the radio ought to be internal to the radio tuner, so even if it isn't plug and play having the weather band itself won't make a difference... you don't need a seperate antenna or connection or anything just for that.
    Not sure that is correct as I believe the WB simply uses the built in am/fm antennas which should be the same for the 525i standard radio and the WB on the 530i and 540i. Not proven though.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post

The 525i/530i/540i should have all come with the same radio anyway. Either should work with the changer as long as the changer is a BMW changer. They used some sort of code on the later radios to lock out the non-BMW Pioneers.

Russell, saw your post at bfc too. Pretty sure the '95s are interchangeable.
    I would like to get my hands on that driver's door. Where are you??
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

No it won't. Alpine CD changer and Pioneer CD changer and also from model year has changed and not compatible. E34, E32, and E31 uses Pioneer CD changer and some of the mid to later E36 use Alpine head unit with Alpine CD changer and not compatible with E34 head unit (Philips or Pioneer I believe). Also, you need different cables from head unit to CD changer for Alpine units (later Alpine CD changers has additional connection). I have looked into this when I wanted newer features of Alpine head unit to work with iPod / music storage drive units.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
    The 525i/530i/540i should have all come with the same radio anyway. Either should work with the changer as long as the changer is a BMW changer. They used some sort of code on the later radios to lock out the non-BMW Pioneers.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
    No it won't. Alpine CD changer and Pioneer CD changer and also from model year has changed and not compatible. E34, E32, and E31 uses Pioneer CD changer and some of the mid to later E36 use Alpine head unit with Alpine CD changer and not compatible with E34 head unit (Philips or Pioneer I believe). Also, you need different cables from head unit to CD changer for Alpine units (later Alpine CD changers has additional connection). I have looked into this when I wanted newer features of Alpine head unit to work with iPod / music storage drive units.
    Your information is just wrong. The OP has a '95 U.S. 525i. His system is compatible with anything from near that same year. In later years of the E34 Pioneer radios worked with either Pioneer or Alpine BMW changers. There are a few earlier years where they were not completely cross-compatible but that's not relevant to this discussion. I also know of no Philips head units used in any BMW NA products, ever. Within the year-model we're discussing here, the cables are the same, both to install the head unit, and to the changer. It was only different in very late (Dec.'95) E36 M3s and then-on '96 models that BMW switched to the iBus system from the m-bus, but those few cars actually came with adapters for both and were made that way only because of the delay in producing a '96 M3 in the USA due to OBD-II regs.

The original question was would a head unit from a NA '95 530i fit in a '95 525i and that answer is still "yes".

Sorry, you are correct that with this information. All 95 E34 radio will be compatible with 95 models. What I was pointing out is that NOT ALL BMW ALPINE or PIONEER will work as there are variations, especially on 95+ model year like E36.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
    Your information is just wrong. The OP has a '95 U.S. 525i. His system is compatible with anything from near that same year. In later years of the E34 Pioneer radios worked with either Pioneer or Alpine BMW changers. There are a few earlier years where they were not completely cross-compatible but that's not relevant to this discussion. I also know of no Philips head units used in any BMW NA products, ever. Within the year-model we're discussing here, the cables are the same, both to install the head unit, and to the changer. It was only different in very late (Dec.'95) E36 M3s and then-on '96 models that BMW switched to the iBus system from the m-bus, but those few cars actually came with adapters for both and were made that way only because of the delay in producing a '96 M3 in the USA due to OBD-II regs.

The original question was would a head unit from a NA '95 530i fit in a '95 525i and that answer is still "yes".
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
    Sorry, you are correct that with this information. All 95 E34 radio will be compatible with 95 models. What I was pointing out is that NOT ALL BMW ALPINE or PIONEER will work as there are variations, especially on 95+ model year like E36.
    That's I-Bus versus m-Bus, mostly, and quite obvious when you go to hook it up, though not all models share that change, ie. 318ti Kompact.

It is more likely that the Weather Band radio in a '95 E34 is from a very early production car. Later production within the same year did away with the weather band. It has been said quite frequently that the sound quality in the weather-band units is inferior to the later non-WB systems. The OP will have to determine that for us.

yep I had a BMW alpine cd changer that died. It was replaced by used BMW/Pioneer unit I it from a guy named Macy (i think) . Anyway his email does no work any more.

Bottom line both will apparenly work under certian conditons on 95 BMWS.
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast