GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Get rid of rust with vinegar?

Default OT: Get rid of rust with vinegar?

Stumbled across this:
    http://www.cookhaus.co.uk/vinegar/index.htm
    I understand the chemistry but I'm still sceptical. Results look great though. Anyone tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Stumbled across this:
    I understand the chemistry but I'm still sceptical. Results look great though. Anyone tried it?
    Never tried it but I would think any acid of similar strength would do the same job. White vinegar's great on windows.

Looks impressive, I'll give this a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Stumbled across this:
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Commercial rust killers tend to use phosphoric acid. But that vinegar seems to have done a great job and is as cheap as chips! ;-)

That pretty amazing!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

yup it works....Im refinishing my style 5's at the moment and I had all the nuts and bolts bathing in a bowl of vinegar for a few hours and when i came back all the rust and peeling paint was floating on the surface...I still plan on taking a wire wheel to get any remaining junk off the bolts but the vinegar worked surprisingly well. I didnt believe it.

on the other hand if you mix vinegar and sodium peroxide I believe you GET rust....iirc
    -Mike

WoW!

really impressed. I feel dumb buying expensive anti rust commercial products. but then you can't soak the chassis in a pool of vinegar.

Get rid of rust with electricity !!
    Author: rv8flyboy

for years now I have removed rust electrolytically especially on delicate parts with my battery charger.

the nice parts is that absolutely nothing of the object disappears, one merely converts the rust back to iron and oxygen.

one takes a plastic tub, some stainless steel plate, a spoon of leye like Red Devil. The Leye makes the water conductive. so u ONLY NEED A LIITLE.

fill the tub or bucket with water, add some leye, put the positive clamp on the stainless steel plate, put the negative clamp on the object to be de-rusted, switch on the battery charger. Go away and have drink ;-)

i generally don't add leye till the charger is on, then add enough leye to get a few amps flowing.

when done cleaning you may find some black specs, this is carbon, the carbon originally in the steel or iron but came out when the rust was converted to iron.

clean thoroughly and dry, prime or coat asap as u will have bare metal in the truest sense they will rudt back soon.

So, can I just soak the bottoms of my doors in a really long tub of vinegar?

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Commercial rust killers tend to use phosphoric acid. But that vinegar seems to have done a great job and is as cheap as chips! ;-)
    Phosphoric acid also has an interesting property to convert rust back to iron in addition to cleaning it! There are some anti-limescale bathroom cleaners which contain phosphoric acid and can be used for rust cleaning. Heh, people have even used (i think succesfully) Coke for rust cleaning since it contains phosphoric acid...
    Arny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast