GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: a little help with AC belt

Default a little help with AC belt

Please don't laugh.
    I want to change the tensioneer (sp?) pulley. But I cannot take the small belt out, which is relatively new that I don't want to cut to get it out. It is not loose enough to take it out. I turn the tensioneer pulley to the right, but it does not move enough to get the belt out. Do I need to do something else, loosen other bolts or something?
    Thanks

Is the alternator/PS pump belt not on the outside so it needs to be removed first? I think you turn the pulley counter-clockwise to compress the tensioner to loosen the belt.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng View Post
    Is the alternator/PS pump belt not on the outside so it needs to be removed first? I think you turn the pulley counter-clockwise to compress the tensioner to loosen the belt.
    Thanks. it is. That's the only one I need to remove. That's the pulley I need to replace. I turned the pulley but it does not move much, maybe only a quarter inch, which is not enough to take the belt. It loosens the belt a little, but not much that I can slide the belt out.

You should be able to take off both belts without undoing any bolts. You have to take the plastic caps off the ends of the tensioner pulleys and insert an allen key or male type socket. Direction that slackens the belt(s) is immediately clear

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    You should be able to take off both belts without undoing any bolts. You have to take the plastic caps off the ends of the tensioner pulleys and insert an allen key or male type socket. Direction that slackens the belt(s) is immediately clear
    Thanks. The plastic cap is missing for several years. Actually, I replaced the water pump about two years ago and at a time I had no problem with getting the belts out. This time I am having problems. The AC belt was replaced by a mechanic during the state inspection a year ago. Maybe the new AC belt is a little tighter or something happened to the tensioner that I cannot move the pulley enough to reduce the tension to be able to make the belt loose enough. It seems like it is moving about a quarter an inch, but it does not move much more than that. Since it seems like I cannot move it more, I don't want to put a lot of force either, given that when I changed the water pump, I broke one of the studs for the water pump bolts and currently the water pump is held by only three bolts, instead of four. I just don't want to break another thing this time, but I cannot take the AC belt out either. Very frustrating.
    Thanks again for the replies.

There is a bolt on the A/C tensioner that is a pivot bolt. It is under a plastic cap, you have to loosen it first and then get a socket onto the TOP bolt on the hydraulic shock and carefully apply pressure clock wise. This will compress the shock safely.

On my 94 525i, the AC belt is on the outside of the main belt that runs everything else. It is an easy change. As was mentioned, just put the ratchet/socket on that bolt and turn clockwise and the tensioner will compress allowing you to slip the belt off.