GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is that and what has it done with my spark plug?

picture looks like an evil eye from a movie or something, can you post something better? Heli coil is a good option if you can get the old plug out, aluminum shavings down the hole are not the worst that can happen.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

It looks like a washer that some lunatic dropped into the hole. Or, it might be part of some thread repair kit that prevents the next guy from trying to remove the plug. It's hard to see how far down the plug it is. Can't see the white insulator on the plug, though. Quite a mystery.

I think it's a photo of a Halloween costume gone bad.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by CloudNine View Post
    It looks like a washer that some lunatic dropped into the hole. Or, it might be part of some thread repair kit that prevents the next guy from trying to remove the plug. It's hard to see how far down the plug it is. Can't see the white insulator on the plug, though. Quite a mystery.
    Looks that way to me too.
    Have you tried a magnet? If it's JB Weld a magnet won't stick. If it is JB Weld whoever did this needs a beating.
    If it makes you feel better my task today is removing a broken spark plug from the rear bank of transversely mounted engine in a mini-van.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by CloudNine View Post
    Yeah, I wish. It's a cylinder made of metal that has a hole in the top where they pushed through the top of the spark plug. I've tried to pull it out with several tools. I can wiggle the spark plug a little bit, so it's extremely unlikely that it's *not* stripped.

I'll be hitting up my mechanic after christmas to see if it can be removed and fixed without removing the head. If it can't, I'll just remove the head myself and either buy a used one or have it rebuilt, whichever is cheaper.

Damn car runs *worse* after changing the valve cover gaskets, spark plug boots and spark plus, geez, I can't win, grr.

...Of course, it might have something to do with the bad cats/o2 sensor (error 1221)
    Last edited by dauchande; 12-18-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Check for intake leaks
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

I've never been much of an 'ass-man' myself but... LOL!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

don't change that plug, it is too risky.

save money or sell the car to buy a 525i/535i. Personally, I would sell it and buy an inline 6. They are far easier to maintain and repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    don't change that plug, it is too risky.

save money or sell the car to buy a 525i/535i. Personally, I would sell it and buy an inline 6. They are far easier to maintain and repair.
    I'd love to find a 1993 535i manual, but there's nothing in Arizona, I'd have to go to California assuming I could even find one there.

I'm probably gonna pick up an e28 535i for the daily commuter and put this one in the garage where I can rebuild it at leisure.

The power of the V8 is addictive, so I have problems with wanting to get rid of it. I think it just needs a rebuild from the ground up, instead of piecemeal.

Quote Originally Posted by dauchande View Post

The power of the V8 is addictive, so I have problems with wanting to get rid of it. I think it just needs a rebuild from the ground up, instead of piecemeal.
    more power to you ! . Hopefully you have a garage to store it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast