GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outstanding handling in snow

Hi Rick - I couldn't agree more! It's a fantastic car and overall much to my personal preference... The straight line speed is out of this world and a lot more comfortable to drive than the e34. From my experience though the BM is much 'sportier' if you like and brilliant in the corners (esp on icy roads! ), and the Jag is more of a comfortable cruiser/an insane dragster when your in the mood!
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

It's a lot of car for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    Hi Rick - I couldn't agree more! It's a fantastic car and overall much to my personal preference... The straight line speed is out of this world and a lot more comfortable to drive than the e34. From my experience though the BM is much 'sportier' if you like and brilliant in the corners (esp on icy roads! ), and the Jag is more of a comfortable cruiser/an insane dragster when your in the mood!
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Whew, no E34 content here, sorry. Just got home from work about 20 minutes ago, driving 40 miles in that big honking storm that's been churning up out of the Plains. I had my pop's old '95 Taurus with Nokian Hakka Qs. The plows had mostly gone to bed but I was doing about 50-55 when traffic allowed and I could see the pavement -- 40-45 or so when everything was white. I passed a state trooper doing about 35 ... Ha!

We didn't get a huge amount of snow yet but the winds had whipped up some pretty big drifts on the town roads. At one point I thought the car was going to hang up in a deep stretch -- fortunately it isn't cold enough for the snow to set up firmly. I just kept churning.

The nice thing about FWD -- when you've got good rubber you can just power through. If the car starts to slew, a little more throttle will straighten it out -- a nice tool to have in the toolbox when passing a semi.

Good to know you are using Hakka Q... I sitll have one set left on the E34. The other cars have newer studless tires. Traction is incredible, isn't it?

The good fore/aft weight balance and a longer wheelbase make an E34 a good "drifter". These cars are pretty 'recoverable' compared to other chassis.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Good to know you are using Hakka Q... I sitll have one set left on the E34. The other cars have newer studless tires. Traction is incredible, isn't it?
    I've done some ice autocrossing, and Nokian studless are the most popular tires at the trials for those who aren't driving on ice-racing studs. I was talking tires with one of the event organizers awhile back, and he described them as "phenomenal."

I'll tell ya, when I got home last night, the adrenaline was flowing. I felt like I'd been to track day at Road America after an hour of dancing through the ruts and easing around terrified slowpokes. Saw half a dozen cars in the ditch. About the only times I didn't feel planted were those momentary stretches where I had to cut through a bank of slush to change lanes.

I read this morning that St. Paul-Minneapolis was expecting 16 to 22 inches of snow from this storm. The way it's tracking, you guys in the East may have something to look forward to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
    The good fore/aft weight balance and a longer wheelbase make an E34 a good "drifter". These cars are pretty 'recoverable' compared to other chassis.
    A great technique to straighten out a RWD car that has lost traction at the rear wheels is left-foot braking. The idea is to keep steady pressure on the gas pedal while briefly applying the brake. That tends to settle the car because you're reducing adhesion at the front wheels while the power at the rear helps the back tires recover some stick. When the level of traction at the front and rear of the car balances out, it becomes less inclined to fishtail or spin.

Left-foot braking has the reverse effect in a FWD car, by the way. Combined with a quick countersteer, a skilled driver can make the back end of the car swing out like a pendulum.

I welcome the snow... we had leftovers of the Noreasters that dumped about 9" here. It is just not enough! LOL

16 to 22", you would be plowing the roads instead... LOL

Absolutely no doubt on the Nokians... I'd buy their stuff anytime!

I feel inclined to share this video again, a response to a particular topgear epidose (linked in the description)
    Merry Christmas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82DqhW1By64
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
    A great technique to straighten out a RWD car that has lost traction at the rear wheels is left-foot braking. The idea is to keep steady pressure on the gas pedal while briefly applying the brake. That tends to settle the car because you're reducing adhesion at the front wheels while the power at the rear helps the back tires recover some stick. When the level of traction at the front and rear of the car balances out, it becomes less inclined to fishtail or spin.

Left-foot braking has the reverse effect in a FWD car, by the way. Combined with a quick countersteer, a skilled driver can make the back end of the car swing out like a pendulum.
    Wow cool! Going to remember this next trip out.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast