GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aftermarket remote unlocking problems.

A ot of Oz delivered cars have the integrated 'alarm' option, which has no fob at all. It can be distinguished by the car having no LED in the main key and no reciever in the overhead panel or rear view mirror. Alarm simply works with the ignition key/double locking.

As it may have done in the UK, this changed at the end of '88 (11/88), after which the central locking system was revised and some parts changed. I think most cars with an alarm had a seperate fob or the integrated IR key to control it after this too. There were 2-3 systems, Alpine made some, all under the back seat I think. The problem connectiign after market ones is simply the different locking systems and wiring in the car. To get a perfect fit, the vendor nereds to know about all these differences. It'd be nice to get this sorted out so all teh differences are obvious in each model run & market... Now there's a worthy challenge.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    A ot of Oz delivered cars have the integrated 'alarm' option, which has no fob at all. It can be distinguished by the car having no LED in the main key and no reciever in the overhead panel or rear view mirror. Alarm simply works with the ignition key/double locking.
    This sounds very much like what I have got. I have all the original keys and the only thing in the 'master' is a bulb for a torch. There is a slight complication in that mine isnt a UK market car - its S African
    I didnt think it had an alarm so did a little test. I double locked it with the driver's window open then reached in and tried to start it - it wouldnt start and set the alarm off

Yep, and don't get complacent... it'll get you on a cold morning when the battery voltage drops too low (if you let your battery become that badly behaved that is). It'll go off and get you down there to suffer and curse in the cold alongside it... LOL!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    This sounds very much like what I have got. I have all the original keys and the only thing in the 'master' is a bulb for a torch. There is a slight complication in that mine isnt a UK market car - its S African
    I didnt think it had an alarm so did a little test. I double locked it with the driver's window open then reached in and tried to start it - it wouldnt start and set the alarm off
    Yep - thats mine as well.
    One and only key I received with the car has the little torch globe only.
    And I do have the alarm system - I've set it off accidently a couple of times while trying to sort out the wiring.

It'd be nice to get this sorted out so all the differences are obvious in each model run & market... Now there's a worthy challenge.

Here, here.

This may be totally unrelated, but the dash LED on mine flashes for about 8 seconds before it goes steady and the immobiliser is set. Is it possible that when you double lock and then open immediately it works as the immobiliser circuit hasnt yet come into play?

I haven't noticed that my LED does anything, but then I've never watched it intentionaly. Will do so to test if it does anything and what causes it to.

My alarm wasn't inexpensive - about $279 from memory. It was a United Security System and "supposed" to be made for the BMW. Promised that it would plug into the existing plug under the back seat. I had to send them the VIN to "make sure I got the right one".
    But when it arrived, the instructional CD didn't match the alarm unit itself.
    I went back to them and they told me that my model couldn't use the plug and I had to install behind the kick panel instead. I accused them of false advertising but got nowhere. Then they sent me a PDF of the correct instructions which still didn't match my cars wire colour codes. (Probably cannot blame them for that in fairness).
    But then when I asked for help, they didn't at first give me information relating to the alarm they sent me (eg: told me I needed the extra diodes attachment for the comfort windows while mine already had them installed in their loom inside shrink wrapping) and after that they ignored me despite many plea's for help.
    I was too scared to return the unit as I didn't think they'd refund me and thats when I decided to battle it out on my own.
    It didn't seem that they knew their own product at all.

The Fobs have the switchblade key which at first I thought I would like, but now realise that I don't - they're big, weighty and awkward in the ignition switch with a bunch of other keys on the same keyring (unavoidable).

My biggest remaining problem is that I can get it to double lock, but it won't then unlock from the double locked condition. Solve that and I'd be okay. Comfort windows would be a nice bonus but I could live without them if necessary.

I'd happily turf this system now and either go OEM or purchase a system that is known to work 100% with my car.
    Last edited by ss2115; 04-04-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    ss2115.

BMW 525i Touring - 1993 (current drive car).
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications).
    Golf MkIII - 1997 (fun car and daughters learn-to-drive car)

Quote Originally Posted by ss2115 View Post
    Yep - thats mine as well.
    One and only key I received with the car has the little torch globe only.
    And I do have the alarm system - I've set it off accidently a couple of times while trying to sort out the wiring.

This may be totally unrelated, but the dash LED on mine flashes for about 8 seconds before it goes steady and the immobiliser is set. Is it possible that when you double lock and then open immediately it works as the immobiliser circuit hasnt yet come into play?

The new alarm's LED? NFI, sorry.

I haven't noticed that my LED does anything, but then I've never watched it intentionaly. Will do so to test if it does anything and what causes it to.

Neither me...

My alarm wasn't inexpensive - about $279 from memory. It was a United Security System and "supposed" to be made for the BMW. Promised that it would plug into the existing plug under the back seat. I had to send them the VIN to "make sure I got the right one".
    But when it arrived, the instructional CD didn't match the alarm unit itself.
    I went back to them and they told me that my model couldn't use the plug and I had to install behind the kick panel instead. I accused them of false advertising but got nowhere.

Don't accuse, just box it up and send it back, asking for a refund in writing due to it being unfit for purpose.

thats when I decided to battle it out on my own. It didn't seem that they knew their own product at all.

Eugh.. too often the case, best to use the law to get your money back early on.

The Fobs have the switchblade key which at first I thought I would like, but now realise that I don't - they're big, weighty and awkward in the ignition switch with a bunch of other keys on the same keyring (unavoidable).

Don't bunch them up, maybe keep your car key seperate from your house keys.

My biggest remaining problem is that I can get it to double lock, but it won't then unlock from the double locked condition. Solve that and I'd be okay. Comfort windows would be a nice bonus but I could live without them if necessary.

Using the key works doesn't it?

I'd happily turf this system now and either go OEM or purchase a system that is known to work 100% with my car.
    OK, send it to me when you do... I can handle that limitation But then again, I have one for over a year in the garage, still haven't wired it in, or even rplaced the battery in the car that already has it... euh!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

The United Security system BMWRZX6 was the one I was looking at. Its supposed to fit any E34 525i,535i,540i or M5 from '92 to '96. The ad still says so! The obvious attraction is that its said to be plug and play. But someone warned me they didnt work - must have been you ss2115?
    If you dont double lock then the immobiliser and alarm dont cut in. Great trying to explain that one to the insurance company if its gets stolen And if you have to use the key its pointless having the remote.
    I looked at retro installing oem equipment but IIRC you need a particular type of dash LED (seems there are 2 types), the receiver in the mirror or next to the roof switch, the box of tricks and remotes. But as it works on infra red its not very good anyway
    None of the above helps with your wiring problem and I will be next in line if you come across a system that actually works

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    The United Security system BMWRZX6 was the one I was looking at. Its supposed to fit any E34 525i,535i,540i or M5 from '92 to '96. The ad still says so! The obvious attraction is that its said to be plug and play. But someone warned me they didnt work - must have been you ss2115?
    If you dont double lock then the immobiliser and alarm dont cut in. Great trying to explain that one to the insurance company if its gets stolen And if you have to use the key its pointless having the remote.
    I looked at retro installing oem equipment but IIRC you need a particular type of dash LED (seems there are 2 types), the receiver in the mirror or next to the roof switch, the box of tricks and remotes. But as it works on infra red its not very good anyway
    None of the above helps with your wiring problem and I will be next in line if you come across a system that actually works
    Hi. Yeah - it was me that gave you the warning.
    We had a really nice Easter Friday here for working in the driveway, so after a few months of leaving the installation disconnected, I decided to have another go at it.
    Hence my frustrated thread.
    Most probably the later model that does plug into the BMW plug works - I don't know. But it was deliberate misrepresentation on anything earlier than 1993 that got me and not telling me until after it had been received!
    Then when it didn't work as advertised despite following the new instructions, they didn't want to know me.
    I mentioned I was afraid to return it - well I'm in Sydney Australia and they are in the USA and it was purchased on ebay late last year. What hope would I have of a refund.
    Stay away from them.
    ss2115.

BMW 525i Touring - 1993 (current drive car).
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications).
    Golf MkIII - 1997 (fun car and daughters learn-to-drive car)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12