GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine running rough and shaking badly at idle and at higher rpm too, hot /cold

Just in case, make sure cyl #6 is not 'fuel washed'. Either pull the plug and wait a long while and/or pull the fuel pump relay and turn it over a bunch.

If you get compression back, take a very good look at your plug ceramics as I had similar symptoms and it was a cracked ceramic. I concentrated too much on the business end of the plug and not enough on the boring end. If you want to find a bad cylinder/plug on the M50, try pulling the wire harness from each coil pack listenng for no change in idle. Bentley/forum members probably don't recommend this method, but its worked for me on more than one occasion (just like pulling the plug boot on a single coil ignition system).

Good luck with it, hope it not a serious problem,

Dave
    Last edited by Dave M; 12-04-2010 at 09:10 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Thanks all for the infos, here is an update, but the job is not finished yet...

So 1.5 months ago, I had a problem with my car and now I'm in the process of removing the cyl. head to get the valve job done in a machine shop. It is in storage for the winter so I do it myself during weekend when I have time to work on it.

I tried this to test if it is the exhaust valves that are stuck open or broken: I have an issue on the cyl. 6. with no compression at all. After removing the cyl. head cover and fan clutch, I turned the engine to see the cams and hydraulic cam followers and they looked fine. Then I set piston #6 at the highest position with cam lobes pointing up, which close the valves. I added injector cleaner liquid in the spark plug hole with a funnel and I saw the liquid free flowing down. I did the same test with cyl. no. 2 and the liquid was staying inside for a few minutes. I heard the liquid going down the exhaust when pourring it in the cyl. 6. When I remove the intake manifold there was no injector cleaner in there, only a little bit of oil.

Next step will be to remove the exhaust manifold, set the engine at tdc, remove the vanos then cyl. head. and bring it to a shop for the valve job and get the head cleaned. I know I have to buy the gasket set, head bolt set, exhaust manifold bolts and nuts etc. I heard/read that exhaust manifold nuts are very tough to remove, I'll see how hard it is soon. If anyone has tricks and infos please let me know! Thanks
    1993 (build 93/05) 525i automatic M50TU (vanos) 263K miles (ca. 423000 km) in Montreal, Canada (bought the car 9 years ago in San Diego, CA)

My 535 was running like that, tracked down a small leak at the intake to head. Used some permatex copper to plug the leak, runs great now.
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

Hey! I realized I hadn't followed-up on this one. When removing the exhaust manifold it was an easy find, cyl. 6 exhaust valve had a small hole on the outer side of the valve... for sure this cylinder couldn't have compression... I removed the head, brought it to a machine shop ($500 to get the head refurbished, not bad I tought). Another $400 of gasket set and various other parts and that was it. It took me kind of 40h job alltogether (+ reading time and shoping time) for a first timer, and the car started fine right after reassembly. Thanks to all who post in forums good tricks of all kind (and to the Bentley manual and also I found the Pelican tech info center very useful). The car has been running fine since that repair 2 years ago but just started a little something I'm into checking:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-ser...00-rpm-so.html
    1993 (build 93/05) 525i automatic M50TU (vanos) 263K miles (ca. 423000 km) in Montreal, Canada (bought the car 9 years ago in San Diego, CA)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123