GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Door frozen ... open!

Default Door frozen ... open!

Twice yesterday, my driver door wouldn't close. Apparently the cold snap is causing the lock mechanism to freeze open. I had to drive to work holding the door closed (not good!).

I did a little digging through the forum, found a few other people with the problem. Some folks recommended WD-40 in the latches. Or carrying a heat gun. Any other known good suggestions?

Thanks!

Norman
    '89 535i, 225000 miles, family owned... Williamsburg, VA

Funny that you would have that too, I just found out that my rear hatch has been open for days possibly weeks without me noticing.. Frozen in open position, nothing to see or feel when closing it until today when I had to reopen it and accidently forgot to push the lever and it opened anyway ! At least no one else noticed so I still have all my stuff!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

WD-40 for sure. Spray the latch mechanism good, all around in there. WD40 is a water dispersant and it should take care of the problem. Mine froze open before and I had to hold it closed 60 miles, got home and just started spraying and it clicked... Now I carry a can with me as an insurance policy.

PS also make sure the latch is in the open position, it might have got stuck not allowing it to latch around the pin.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

its not just the outer handle stuck "up" is it?
    Gone but not forgotten

Usually, I just drive around (carefully) until the interior of the car is really warm and toasty and then try closing the door again. I've also tried the hair dryer trick, which worked OK. I've been trying to wash my car more frequently this winter, so I've been having a lot of issues with the lock/latch mechanisms.

1995 525i 5-Speed 201,000mi

My passenger door lock is acting up now too. maybe coz its -20° celsius = -4° fahrenheit outside!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.