GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought an E34 525i Touring!

Default Just bought an E34 525i Touring!

Well after a couple of years away from this place I'm back!

I've had my '89 E34 535i Executive for six years and while it's been a good old thang, a recent accident amongst other things made me decide it was time to move on.

After looking at several E39's the only version I could stomach was a 530 'M' Sport.

However these are still cracking in at around $25k in Oz for something late with low km's so I went back to thinking about an E34 touring.

After looking around a white '92 525i caught my eye. I had a look at it and the body was clean and straight, 260k km's, factory 17" alloys (not T Stars), dual sunroofs but a cloth interior with a few worn spots.

There was also another white 525i Touring listed with the main differences being standard basketweaves, 20k less on the clock and a blue leather interior.

This one was listed at $13,000 while the cloth interior one was $6,900.
    In a nutshell I ended up buying the first one for $6,500.

I picked it up this morning. Overall I'm pretty happy with it especially for the money.
    A few things don't work such as the cruise control, auto sports mode switch, the left hand power mirror and I can't seem to reset the trip meter but all in all I think it was a reasonable buy. It has a reco auto, new disc rotors and pads and came with a roadworthy and rego until September 2011.

I'm thinking the recently recoed auto may have something to do with the sports mode and cruise control not working. I'll need to investigate this further. (UPDATE: The cruise control and auto sports mode started working again. Obviously some intermittant electrical gremlins going on!)

Basically I'm going to swap the best bits out of my 535i Executive sedan into the Touring such as my leather memory seats, (I'll get the rear Touring seat retrimmed to match) door trims, full OBC, driving lights, auto dimming mirror, front Eibach springs and Koni's and maybe my T Stars and a few other things.

If anyone (Shogun?) can please advise regarding fitting the November 1989 535i memory seats (also with memory mirror function) into a May 1992 525i Touring I would appreciate it. Is it possible to fit and connect the 535i memory seat loom directly into the 525 Touring without cutting any of the wiring?

Here's some pics...

Last edited by pundit; 01-08-2011 at 07:33 AM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Congrats! She looks like a beauty! Welcome to Touring Heaven. I reckon the M50 is one of the sweetest engines the e34 has. With an EAT chip it'd have to be a ball! Beware the OBC ocnversion, it requires you to swap the whole dash surround and also to rewire the connector, I did it but didn't realise about the connector so have a dead OBC in mine. Tranny will probably just be the switch suffering drinks spillage or loose plug... Lovely car u got there, and the best colour too...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

To me, Style 32 wheels are among the nicest to have on an E34. They look ... elegant.

Keep it simple! Less headaches. Clean out that A/S tranny switch.... easy fix.

Sweet ride, and I adore the tourings in white!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

I really like the look of tourings.

Very nice car, my touring is my summer car I love it. This summer I will swap the transmission to a 5 speed and I am now buying the pieces to install a turbo.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Yea, M50 turbo, 5 speed. I'll probably wreck my manual 525i one day and build up an s50 lookalike, turbo, megasquirt and manual, then stick it in the touring... one day!

In the meantime, Go Bruno! Should be a very worthwhile project, eonomy, feel, performance, touring style... nice!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I will document the project, I picked up a bunch of turbo parts from an E36 owner. The advantage over the M30 turbo build is that there is tons of E36s with turbos and there is a lot of different turbo kits and manifolds available.
    I will document both the 5 speed swap and the turbo install and also megasquirt, I will also make my megasquirt files available for both my M30 turbo and M50 turbo.

I love turbo cars, so much fun!!!
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    Sweet ride, and I adore the tourings in white!
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Very nice car, my touring is my summer car I love it. This summer I will swap the transmission to a 5 speed and I am now buying the pieces to install a turbo.
    5 speed really transformed my car. I would love to do a turbo as well. Can't wait to read the documentation on yours!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast