GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New e34 525i and Todo List

Default My New e34 525i and Todo List

I purchased it like this for $2k:

Went to the junkyard last weekend, scored new headlight assembly (I had a cracked lens) for $30, and rims+tires for $450. Cleaned and waxed it. I think I spent 1.5 hours to get to the original silver color on all the rims:

• To Do List
    • Pass VA inspection
    • I need to get a new drivers seat mine wont go back up and its missing the leather on the back
    • Fix steering issue (seems loosey goosey)
    • Fix coolant leak
    • Flush/Replenish all fluilds
    • New rear brake pads

A question:
    Why the two keys? Two identical looking keys; one can only open the doors, and one can only start the car. Why do they do this? Isn't this frustrating finding the correct one everytime we drive?

The two keys issue is most likely due to the ignition switch lock barrel being replaced sometime in the past.
    My 535i has two keys.
    I suppose I could have had the ignition lock keyed the same as the doors but I figured it would cost a few $$$ besides when the ignition lock jammed I had to get a new lock and replace it pronto to get the car going again.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Yep, just need to re-key the barrel, take it out and take it to a locksmith. I've done the door-locks before, they can be done at home but there are 3 of them, and removal is tougher. The barrel you may be able to do yourself, but I don't know if it is easy to do.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Pretty good barrel writeup here: Jon Evans - Door lock barrel replacement

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Thanks guys thats really helpful. I don't have the old barrel so I won't be able to swap. I'll look into rekeying the barrels.

if these wheels are off an e39 you will need hubcentric adapters or you will get vibration issues. search the forum or Google for more details. Car looks good, what year is it?

hate to say it, but most e34s have loose steering. Questionable design and wear and tear seem to be the issue.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Interesting. I actually took them off another e34 at the junkyard, but who knows where they came from before then? I haven't felt any vibration issues even on the highway. Is it something you usually hear? I see a lot of solutions around, but I don't know how to diagnose without actually precisely measuring the wheel hub.
    BMW e34 1992 525i 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by mikob View Post
    Interesting. I actually took them off another e34 at the junkyard, but who knows where they came from before then? I haven't felt any vibration issues even on the highway. Is it something you usually hear? I see a lot of solutions around, but I don't know how to diagnose without actually precisely measuring the wheel hub.
    if you have no vibration you may be ok. Is there a BMW logo and part number on the wheel? if so, they are OE and you can use RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog to see what BMW they fit. However, i suspect these are aftermarket wheels designed to fit your car.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Those wheels look awesome.

This might help with the loose steering.
    BMW E34 Website

There is also a big nut under the dash on the steering column that some people have found loose, but in my 10 years of experience owning E34s, I've never had to tighten that one.

1995 525i 5-Speed 201,000mi

Nice car.. looks like your off to a good start

Fellow recent 525i owner

Is yours a 5spd or auto?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast