GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Another starter problem. 90 535iA

Default Another starter problem. 90 535iA

Gentlemen, very long time since I had reason to post. My 535i Automatic had been making a loud ringing resonating sound occassionally when/right after starting. Like flywheel/bellhousing ringing. Then it got very pronounced for one day and could even de heard while driving down the road (the ringing). Next day I went to start and the noise was horendous so I shut her down, after that it did nothing when I tried to start it, no ticking, no whirring, nuttin! Assumed it was starter and put in a new one (not fun) and still nothing. WTH?
    Then like a dummy I took my old starter to be checked and it is GOOD! DAMN, I shoulda done that first.
    Anyway, any ideas based on those noisy symptoms? Any relays, fuses, etc.
    Keep it simple, I'm get older and stupider by the minute but I can't get to a shop and can"t afford one either.
    Thanks guys.
    billy in slo

If the starter's gear doesn't mesh correctly with the ring gear on the flywheel it can be difficult for the starter's gear to retract. I suspect that is what happened the last time on your first starter. It then got spun like hell by the motor. Why it went dead then later tested okay I cannot explain.
    The flexplate(flywheel) on auto trans cars can ring like a bell when starter enagagement/disengagement is rough.
    A few things I'd be checking are that the ring gear isn't tore up by removing the starter then turning the engine by hand to inspect, make sure the starter is/was squarely seated and tight and checking tightness of the torque converter, transmission and flywheel bolts. Anything that could cause a misalignment between those gear teeth.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thanks, I agree with the not fully or quickly disengaging, it could still check out OK under no stress I imagine, but why the new rebuilt I installed would not turn or make a sound either is baffling. I suppose it could have been bad. Mainly now I am wondering about electrical troubleshooting, not my strong suit. any thing easy to check? I mean we got juice to the starter and then juice to the solenoid from the ignition right? That's about it. Not rocket science.
    Thank you for your reply, I need all the help I can get.

It is possible that the new one's clutch/engagement mechanism is not working properly either. May be new old stock, or not put together right... tested well enough (ie just spins does not always mean okay). Def check the ring gear is okay (cheap to buy, every wreck has one, but... hard to replace of course.)

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!