GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: tie rod?? (with video)

Default tie rod?? (with video)

I've noticed that I can grab each front wheel on the sides and move them back and forth.

Also while I was up under the car the tie rod (I think thats what it is), the bard that connects under the center of the car, rotates when I move the wheels.

I can also rotate the tie rod by hand, which causes the wheels to move...

check out the video for more detail.... I'm thinking something is wrong with the tie rod...

Tie Rod Video (750K)
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Default Cool, our 1st video question!....

Sorry I don't really know the answer to the problem Philip, but I'd say that maybe your tierod bushings need replacement or something.

BUT, the video was great! Now, if you could only get to Orlando, FL and video Ryan trying to remove the tire from his rim, I'm sure that at least a thousand or so folks here would be forever in your debt! Instant "America's Funniest Car Repair" Grand Prize winner too!

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Default I can't tell from the rest of your video but at the very end the inner tie rod looked

definitely bad....

was gonna call you "brisco" from law and order, but i'm too obsessed with that show to defile it like that, so.....

alright, CSI MIAMI, i believe I was the first person (or possibly second or third or forth) to ask a video question, last year, when i video recorded my check engine light giving back a "garbage" response. so chew on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C.
    Sorry I don't really know the answer to the problem Philip, but I'd say that maybe your tierod bushings need replacement or something.

BUT, the video was great! Now, if you could only get to Orlando, FL and video Ryan trying to remove the tire from his rim, I'm sure that at least a thousand or so folks here would be forever in your debt! Instant "America's Funniest Car Repair" Grand Prize winner too!

Brian C.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I dunno... the video just makes sence.... Whip out the cannon s230, record the problem.... throw the video into windows movie maker get some better compression, and blammo! now everyone knows exactly what the problem is like!

(I just hope that I don't exceed the montly bandwidth with my domain hoster)

video is in, just like "the information super highway" buzz word!
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

From what I sea here... that inner rod is wasted! Also looks like the pitman arm bushing might be shot too but was kinda hard to see for sure.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default the pittman arm doesn't have a bushing...

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    From what I sea here... that inner rod is wasted! Also looks like the pitman arm bushing might be shot too but was kinda hard to see for sure.

Default Than what am I thinking about

that supports the other side of the draglink besides the steering arm?

I really should learn how to use that ETK.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default You have the pittman arm which is attached to the steering box and then at the

other end of the center link you have the idler arm... the idler arm has a bushing or bearing that it pivots in.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    that supports the other side of the draglink besides the steering arm?

I really should learn how to use that ETK.