GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this radiator is going to cause me to go bald

Default this radiator is going to cause me to go bald

I'm just about to start pulling my hair out, trying everything I can think of, and replacing the radiator is now my last resort....

I went on a 1200 mile trip this last weekend, and although there was a small leak, it wasn't very much, now it just seems to have become 100 fold worse....

Is there some kind of way to check for blockages or something?? I don't want to put my new radiator in, and have it blow up becuase of some blockage which causes excess pressure to build up.

Is it common for a radiator to develop cracks?
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Very common for plastic to crack on radiator after 9 years.

My radiator leak went from a trickle to a geyser overnight. It started as a small leak on the top connection that I ignored for about 2 weeks and then suddenly it failed. It seems to be the nature of the beast for these radiators with plastic tanks.

Curt.
    1994 530iT

Have you tried flushing it? Where's the leak coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by 1992 BMW 535i
    Have you tried flushing it? Where's the leak coming from?

best as I can tell, the leak is coming from here. Small plug looking thing. Someone suggested to slap some JB weld around that area, which I did, but it still managed to find its way through.... I think I'll slap on another round of jbweld tonight, and I'll put it on extra thick!

Source might also be that nipple that the small hose is clamped to in the top of your picture. Very common for those to crack as well.

I guess if you need a temporary fix, the JBWeld is worth a try, but I'd call BMA today. It's not worth messing around with a cracked radiator... replace it!! Sooo much cheaper than a good M60 longblock!!!!

Look you got an original radiator... just change it. Mine went about that same time... a little bit earlier.

I've checked the nipple for leaks, and don't see any coming from there. It stays dry....

Here is what I've got from BMA for radiators

Radiator - Manual transmission - from prod. date 6/94 on - 17 11 1 702 453
    - OE Behr - $310.00
    - NRF - L&R (OE Manufacturer) - $252.00
    - Nissens (made in Denmark) - $195.00

I'm leaning for hte middle of the road.... but for 57 bucks less... why not go on the low end????

I'm a big time believer in BMA and they are a great place to get parts. That being said, I recently bought a radiator for my daughter's Miata from www.radiators.com. They had a great price, a real easy to use web based question and answer feature and they delivered the radiator to my door the next morning on a Saturday. Good luck.

Curt.
    1994 530iT

Cool interactive chat thing, felt like I was talking to a real person... but their price was still higher than BMA.

For the record patrick is reccomending the nissans, or the L&R.... I think I'll prolly go nissans. Plus shipping and 2 hoses, that'll bring the total to around 250 :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Anderson
    I'm a big time believer in BMA and they are a great place to get parts. That being said, I recently bought a radiator for my daughter's Miata from www.radiators.com. They had a great price, a real easy to use web based question and answer feature and they delivered the radiator to my door the next morning on a Saturday. Good luck.

Curt.
    1994 530iT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast