GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superchip

Default Superchip

The E34 site suggests not to waste ones money on an aftermarket chip, however I am still thinking about it.

A local guy here in NZ imports superchips from the UK and reckons that on a 1990 525 I can expect 12bhp and about 40lb/ft torque improvement, with a lot of the power being moved down the rev range, if so I am definetly tempted.

Its $950 fitted though, but I think once my house sells I will be up for it, for that sort of gain I want to risk it. He fits the chips for my local BMW dealer too so I guess he must good and the parts must work.

um, why not a EAT chip? is that $950 US or ? i dont know the exchange rate but either way thats way TOO much. get an EAT chip for $200US and install it yourself. Very simple. MarkD, a regular on this forum, makes them. Everyone will agree that EAT chips are the only way to go..

URL: www.dsylva-tech.ca
    email: mark@dsylva-tech.ca

900 in NZ money is just under 600 us dollars....any shipping costs from toronto would likely make up for that
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Not sure what E34 site you are talking about

. . . but a good chip makes a noticeable difference and is certainly the best bang for the buck in these cars. The key is to get a good, reputable chip. Many board members have one of these:

EAT chips

You mention getting it fitted - this is an extremely easy mod (one part, about the size of the average thumb), doable with instructions from the manufacturer or the Internet. No need to waste your cash on having it installed by someone else. And even with shipping, you should be able to get a good chip for a much better price than that.

Krisby:

The E34 site suggests not to waste ones money on an aftermarket chip, however I am still thinking about it.

A local guy here in NZ imports superchips from the UK and reckons that on a 1990 525 I can expect 12bhp and about 40lb/ft torque improvement, with a lot of the power being moved down the rev range, if so I am definetly tempted.

Its $950 fitted though

I dont know G, The first time I did the chiparoo game I had a hard time seperating the boards and could have easily broke them in my situation. Now that there all worn out (broke in) I can replace one in about 5 minutes from the time I open the hood. It might not be worth risking if your going to only do it once. Wonder how much an ECU is for him to buy?

Just my oppinion.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

just dont be in a rush and take your time

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I dont know G, The first time I did the chiparoo game I had a hard time seperating the boards and could have easily broke them in my situation. Now that there all worn out (broke in) I can replace one in about 5 minutes from the time I open the hood. It might not be worth risking if your going to only do it once. Wonder how much an ECU is for him to buy?

Just my oppinion.

Default OK, point taken Jeff . . .

Many of us have done this ourselves, so it is certainly DIY-worthy, but yes, take your time and do it right if you do it. I actually had a little trouble with mine, too, but all ended well.

If you have someone else do it, keep in mind when they bill you that it takes someone who knows what they are doing about 5 mintes to do this.

But if you've never done it (or any DIY) before, it might take two hours.

A very good investment of your time and $, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M
    just dont be in a rush and take your time

For 950$ you could just fly MarkD out there and have him install the EAT chip himself! And I'm talking AUS dollars too- that's damn expensive.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Default Jeff, he has a 1990 525i - doesn't that only have a single

board and not the dual sandwich one that is in our cars? I, too, had a real problem getting them apart on my 1991 525i, but if he has the M20 engine, then it should be a lot easier. I am only going on memory, and it is based on U.S. specs also.

The shipping costs on a chip will be nominal, also.

Dick Schneiders

Just my oppinion.

Default two hidden top tabs

Last night installed the EAT chip, there are the two taps one on the right and the left one. However there are two other ones on the top row. If you slide yoru thin flathead screwdriver and push down, the board will slid with ease.

Just my oppinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast