GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone's gotta know how to make washer nozzles spray like new...

TC535i Guest

Default Someone's gotta know how to make washer nozzles spray like new...

Is there a way to clean these things out, or is it just best to buy new ones from the dealership? Anyone know the secret to like-new windshield washer performance??

stick a small wire in the nozzle, such as one from a piece of wire, I think a pin is too thick. They are also adjustable too!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

new is better but you can sometimes take them apart and clean the crud out without destroying them, i don't even try anymore, not worth my time
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I've always used a pin - I'm in the habit of pushing a pin into the end of the passenger wiper blade so if the nozzles clog up I have one to hand. It's a sewing pin rather than a safety pin and fits right down into the nozzle. I also only use BMW screenwash - I have a thing about the smell, it's just soooo nice - and that seems to discourage clogging somehow (I know not how).

Damian

I can tell you that new is good but expensive because these are heated nozzles. I always have used a pin and had a helper hit the sprayer while I was cleaning and aiming them. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a "non-heated" version to replace the heated. I live in San Diego and don't really need heat.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

heated hmm...I wondered what them wires were
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    Is there a way to clean these things out, or is it just best to buy new ones from the dealership? Anyone know the secret to like-new windshield washer performance??
    Pin always worked, except for the previous owner's error. Driver's side was always weak, so I finally took the thing apart to replace the driver's side nozzle, and what do I find? That the previous owner had apparently replaced the driver's side nozzle with a nozzle with two fittings, I suppose the second fitting was for the high-intensity system? Well, the guy had only connected one of the fittings, and perhaps plugged the second one. Eventually that second fitting got un-plugged and was letting off a lot of pressure - right into the hood insulation, which was a mess.

A small pin - very narrow gauge, should be able to break up whatever is in there. And don't be afraid to drop the insulation and see what's lurking - it may just be a loose fitting.
    --Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT

After you break open the nozzle, anybody ever try some mild vinegar flush? It works great for my coffee maker's deposits. I would think if the nozzle is clogged, the whole system could use a decalcification. Maybe one of those tablets in solution would work too?

Disclosure: I haven't tried it yet, will probably experiment on a different auto before trying it on the bimmer.

Default Same thing w/mine, took down the hood liner and found it disconnected...

Quote Originally Posted by MicahO
    Pin always worked, except for the previous owner's error. Driver's side was always weak, so I finally took the thing apart to replace the driver's side nozzle, and what do I find? That the previous owner had apparently replaced the driver's side nozzle with a nozzle with two fittings, I suppose the second fitting was for the high-intensity system? Well, the guy had only connected one of the fittings, and perhaps plugged the second one. Eventually that second fitting got un-plugged and was letting off a lot of pressure - right into the hood insulation, which was a mess.

A small pin - very narrow gauge, should be able to break up whatever is in there. And don't be afraid to drop the insulation and see what's lurking - it may just be a loose fitting.

I spent a great deal of time cleaning mine a while back. Carb cleaner, pins, toothpicks, and compressed air made a nice clean nozzle (watch out, the carb cleaner can eat the plastic). Of course I broke one putting it back in, and had to buy a new one from BMA at about $21. Of course, the new one works 10000% better than my 'cleaned' old one. Not worth it, IMO. And I'm CHEAP!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast