GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Has anyone tried the reset by connecting the battery leads?

Default Has anyone tried the reset by connecting the battery leads?

I have had a rough idle for some time now. After replacing the battery I noticed the idle improved marginally. One of the threads here mentioned removing the battery and shorting the leads together for 10 minutes, leaving the car for 1 hour and then installing the battery again will reset the factory settings. Has anyone tried this? I have an EAT chip, which I don't want to damage.

John 535is 1989

Default Yep

I tried this but must of messed up in crossing the cables..or maybe didnt wait long enough (more likely) didnt even get to reset the radio code.

I need to do this again and maybe learn how to cross the cables or something, I need to reset my stuff too.

Dont think you will damage anything by doing this.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default i have done it twice already.....

once to clear codes to see if they would come back & once to reset my adaptive tranny computer to change the shifting points & yes they did change. kirt koeller told me to do this with the car & it made a difference.
    from what i understand the first miles you drive after the reset is what the computer bases all data on & can change how the car shifts.
    tim s.

netmgr Guest

Default my way

I often have the battery dissconnected over night, charging it etc

always without fail this resets the ecu because when it starts up it runs awfull, a sure sign ts been reset and always again after about 500 yards it will hop, complete missfire, complete powerloss for 1 second then jump back to life and perfect afterwards...

i would have thought this was the best way to discharge the internal capacitors and batteries for resetting the system

I just disconnect the leads from the battery and connect them to each other with a jumper cable. It seemed to work for me the last time I did it. Although I notice a similar (if not identical) effect when I leave the negative lead disconnected for at least an hour.

Does anyone know if there is some specific benefit to connecting the leads? I've read that it's supposed to drain current but can the electronics really hold on to a charge for an hour or more if left unconnected?

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I tried this but must of messed up in crossing the cables..or maybe didnt wait long enough (more likely) didnt even get to reset the radio code.

I need to do this again and maybe learn how to cross the cables or something, I need to reset my stuff too.

Dont think you will damage anything by doing this.

'95 540i 6sp, uuc ssk, Dinan chip
    proud member of the nikasil club

netmgr Guest

Default yep

heres the info on it: