GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: bill r, how do you tell if a relay solder joint is cracked?

Default bill r, how do you tell if a relay solder joint is cracked?

do you usually have to use magnification of some type? have the GM and RM out of the car, and the tops of the PCB look like they were manufactured yesterday. i'm seeing what i THINK are tiny cracks on the larger components , but it could just be my imagination. thanks.

ps....do you put new solder onto something like this, or do you just reflow the old stuff?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Ryan
    I use one of those circular flourescent lights with a magnifier in the middle from Office Depot.
    I'd resolder: melt off the old solder and vacuum it off with a Radio Shack Solder Sucker (a spring loaded mini turkey baster with a trigger); then clean off, and resolder with new rosin core.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Default Gotta remember Ryan, i'm old so i use a pair of magnifying

lenses on a headband that you can buy at any electronics supply house, the good ones have glass lenses and you can get different levels of magnification, they slip right into place ... and then i move the circuit board all around under a good light seeing it from different angles.. sometimes the cracks are very hard to see, if in doubt resolder anyway. Heres a pic shot at the macro setting on my camera

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    do you usually have to use magnification of some type? have the GM and RM out of the car, and the tops of the PCB look like they were manufactured yesterday. i'm seeing what i THINK are tiny cracks on the larger components , but it could just be my imagination. thanks.

ps....do you put new solder onto something like this, or do you just reflow the old stuff?

ahh one of my favorites, a volvo main/fuel pump relay

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    lenses on a headband that you can buy at any electronics supply house, the good ones have glass lenses and you can get different levels of magnification, they slip right into place ... and then i move the circuit board all around under a good light seeing it from different angles.. sometimes the cracks are very hard to see, if in doubt resolder anyway. Heres a pic shot at the macro setting on my camera
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it