GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "your lights are on" buzzer. Should I miss it, or is it just a pain in the ass?

Default The "your lights are on" buzzer. Should I miss it, or is it just a pain in the ass?

I have discovered a speaker-like contraption under the dash, which I suppose is the gong or buzzer for when you leave the car with the lights on.

Now I like it when everything works, but I have a feeling, that this little thingy can be an annoying pain in the ass.

What does it do? Is it only there to warn me about the lights? Any suggestions on wether to fix it or not?

Thanks.
    Niels

Another function is the "Bong" when the outside temp. reaches + 3.5 degree C. and that you should drive carefully.
    Have not yet checked in the wiring diagrams if even the windshield heater (the area for the wiper blade heating) and the door lock heater are also somehow connected to the temp. feeler in the front.
    In addition you will not get any audible warnings from the check control, low oil level, low oil pressure, wash water low level etc.
    Would not eliminate it.
    Fix the probs, that's the right way. This little thingy is like a watchdog for your and 'barks' when your car is not feeling healthy.

I accidentally left it disconnected a couple months ago when I was working down there. It was nice not to have the 'dong' when my washer fluid low warning came up every 10 minutes. But, I also left my lights on a couple of times since I was apparently depending on that warning!

Yesterday I fixed the washer fluid sensor, and hooked up the speaker again. I'm glad it's back. It's worth keeping IMO.

Default what was the prob with the washer fluid sensor?

Have the same alarm, tank is full.
    Already removed the wire connector from the sensor and sprayed some contact spray, but did not work.
    Is that sensor repairable? Or just a new one?
    Don't want to touch it now, too cold for that small prob, but maybe I already should order a new sensor if necessary.
    Thanks

If you look at the sensor closely, there is a small metal rod in the 'float'. In my case the metal rod was corroded and in pretty bad shape. I tried to clean it up, sand it down, but I lost it, and then tried to cut a bolt down to the right size and use that instead. It worked about 10% of the time. So I just bought a new sensor from BMA for about $25.

it'll bong on any error...you should keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by NielsGalan
    I have discovered a speaker-like contraption under the dash, which I suppose is the gong or buzzer for when you leave the car with the lights on.

Now I like it when everything works, but I have a feeling, that this little thingy can be an annoying pain in the ass.

What does it do? Is it only there to warn me about the lights? Any suggestions on wether to fix it or not?

Thanks.
    Niels
    The speaker is handy to have & also can be pretty annoying. I solved the problem by wrapping it with a few layers of duct tape which lowered the tone. Now I get a nice low tone that isn't annoying.

"The speaker is handy to have & also can be pretty annoying. I solved the problem by wrapping it with a few layers of duct tape which lowered the tone. Now I get a nice low tone that isn't annoying."

Wow, what a great idea! That is my next non-critical project, I jump everytime that low temp.gong goes off!

I jump too when the temp sensor goes off, but the lights thing has saved my bacon many times. One of our more electrically minded members should come up with an automatic delay mechanism to shut the lights off, but until then, leave it alone.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Default Dude! Washer Level Low warning has been pestering me forever...

How was the R&I? I looked at the beast but didn't see how it came out... does it pop out or is there a fastener you have to remove?

That's the only warning I have on my OBC right now and I'd love to clear it out. How hard was it to do / what did you need to do?

TIA,

Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast