GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why???

Default Why???

Why did BMW install a stupid MPG gauge in the cluster of the e34? Is it a redundant system placed there in the event that you can't read the trip computer's calculation?
    Does anyone think the MPG gauge is stupid and a waste of space? I do.

So I want to change it to the Oil Temp gauge that I saw in the owner's manual.

So, here's my question:

Does anyone know
    If that particular gauge is a seperate piece (or do I buy a new cluster)?
    Was the Oil Temp gauge only offered on the M5?
    Are the sensors embedded in the block or do they have to added?

Thanks. Sorry about the beginning, I'm feeling a little "ranty".
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

I am interested in a way to do this too ... surely someone has done this before ?
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

Default I think in a number of markets the trip computer obc is an option so with the

mpg gauge in the cluster it gives the people who don't have an obc some idea of mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    Why did BMW install a stupid MPG gauge in the cluster of the e34? Is it a redundant system placed there in the event that you can't read the trip computer's calculation?
    Does anyone think the MPG gauge is stupid and a waste of space? I do.

So I want to change it to the Oil Temp gauge that I saw in the owner's manual.

So, here's my question:

Does anyone know
    If that particular gauge is a seperate piece (or do I buy a new cluster)?
    Was the Oil Temp gauge only offered on the M5?
    Are the sensors embedded in the block or do they have to added?

Thanks. Sorry about the beginning, I'm feeling a little "ranty".
    -ashley

i love that thing. i want to put VDO Vision gauges with oil press, oil temp, and battery voltage in a pod somewhere
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

I'm in one of those markets(European), my car only has the outside temp OBC. Nor does it have Check control. I agree on it being slightly useless, because I use to fill up the car and set the trip to zero and do the maths when i fill it up again. The idea of having a oil temp gauge, instead of km/l sounds nice.

Default you can do it, but find a good place for the oil temp sensor

to read the real temp and not something which is not that important or unreal.
    Go for example to www.bavauto.com
    They have something on offer. Or the local aftermarket shops.
    Just found for example this one here in Japan in the auction house on a pic from the E36

Damn Dude....LOL...Calm Down a Little....It'll Be ok....I happen to Think the Thing is benneficial to Drivers Pro and Not. To be able to glance down to see what the Fuel Consumption might be at a Bevy of different Times throughout the driving day...To somewhat Hone your efficient driving skills at certain times to acheive your optimum Fuel use per gallon. Instead of just using the traditional method of calculating your OVERALL MPG...with this in mind it has Probably helped MANY drivers to Lower their Overall gas usage by Controlling themselves at those certain Key points of speed change where they didnt realize there would be SUCH A CHANGE in MPG if a More Moderate acceleration. OR NOT...were used at that point..BUT...I Do think the Additional cluster package shown above MAY be your choice for adding the gauges you desire...Well anyway..Good luck ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by GAGE308
    Damn Dude....LOL...Calm Down a Little....It'll Be ok....I happen to Think the Thing is benneficial to Drivers Pro and Not. To be able to glance down to see what the Fuel Consumption might be at a Bevy of different Times throughout the driving day...To somewhat Hone your efficient driving skills at certain times to acheive your optimum Fuel use per gallon. Instead of just using the traditional method of calculating your OVERALL MPG...with this in mind it has Probably helped MANY drivers to Lower their Overall gas usage by Controlling themselves at those certain Key points of speed change where they didnt realize there would be SUCH A CHANGE in MPG if a More Moderate acceleration. OR NOT...were used at that point..BUT...I Do think the Additional cluster package shown above MAY be your choice for adding the gauges you desire...Well anyway..Good luck ;-)
    Sorry Guys, long day - long week - long month.

I guess I understand the usefullness of the gauge now. (egg on my face) But coming from a car that routinely got over 30 mpg in the city, I' rather not know every time I'm getting less than 8 miles per gallon. I don't drive hard, in fact often I don't get the RPM's over 2500-2700 in my normal driving day; and since my thermostat doesn't work (replacing soon) oil temp is more important to me.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Default That blocks the view

Plus, I think it looks ugly. However, It could my age showing! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    to read the real temp and not something which is not that important or unreal.
    Go for example to www.bavauto.com
    They have something on offer. Or the local aftermarket shops.
    Just found for example this one here in Japan in the auction house on a pic from the E36
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I agree on the oil temp guage being nice. But hey, that little MPG gauge is fun. Keeps me from speeding, too...on my last long interstate trip, my wife was yelling at me to speed up and quit looking at that MPG guage!. Let's just say that's not usually what she's objecting to when I drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast